Garter Stitch Ear-Flap Pattern
Supplies needed: loom, knitting hook, yarn of your choice, and yarn needle.
I used the green Knifty Knitter for the hat in the picture and Caron brand Simply Soft yarn.
Skills needed: You will need to know how to e-wrap, knit, purl, and how to increase.
You will be increasing when you make the ear-flaps, so you will just do a basic e-wrap on an empty peg.
I knit this hat using 2 strands as one. So anytime I say in the pattern to cast on (there will be a total of 3 times) you will be using 2 strands of yarn as one.
In the parenthesis I will put the peg number of the pegs that will be wrapped to help you keep up with your increases.
1. You will cast on peg 8 and 9 for the first ear-flap.
2. purl pegs 8 and 9 and make an increase. (7, 8, and 9)
3. knit pegs and make an increase. (7, 8, 9, and 10)
4. purl pegs and make an increase. (6, 7, 8, 9, and 10)
5. knit pegs and make an increase. (6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11)
6. purl pegs and make an increase. (5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11)
7. knit pegs and make an increase. ( 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12)
8. purl pegs and make an increase. ( 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12)
9. knit pegs and make an increase. (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13)
You now have a total of ten pegs wrapped.
10. purl all ten pegs.
11 - 23. continue with the garter stitch pattern. Knit a row and then purl a row. You will end on a knit row.
24. Cut your yarn, but make sure that you leave a tail that you can decide later how you want to finish. Either with a braid, an i-cord, or just sew and hide like the hat in picture.
You are now ready to start your 2nd ear-flap.
1. Go to pegs 28 and 29 and cast on with your basic e-wrap.
You will do the same pattern that is above to make an e-flap that matches. This means that the ten pegs that will end up with loops will be 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33.
Now that your ear-flaps are complete you will begin to work on the brim and body of hat. I used two colors (obviously), so I will give the instructions for what I did for that. You can always choose to make the hat with one color and the color change instructions will not apply. I will make a mark in the instructions for if you are not using 2 colors.
1. Cast on all pegs using the basic e-wrap.
2. Purl all pegs. When you get to the pegs that have 2 loops on them you will be purling them, but you will be lifting the bottom two loops over. *Leave a comment if I need to explain this better and I will do my best. *
3. Knit all pegs.
4. Purl all pegs.
5. Knit all pegs.
6. Purl all pegs.
7. Knit all pegs.
8. Purl all pegs.
9. Knit all pegs
** 10. Here is the part where I made my color switch. If you decide to switch colors you will do this now. When you add the color you are going to knit all the way around with your new color. 11. Then second time you go around with your new color you will purl. And so on with your garter stitch pattern.
**10. If you decide to NOT add a color, continue with the pattern above 3 - 9 until your hat reaches the desired length.
When hat reaches the desired length go ahead and decrease the hat by half. Move loops on peg 1 to 2 and knit over. Loops on 3 to 4 knit over. Continue doing this all the way around the loom.
You are now ready to gather the hat.
Once your hat is complete you can decide to add to the ear-flaps. Some people like to add braids, or an i-cord, or you could just leave them simple like I did. Because the hat is made using the garter stitch the ear-flaps will not curl, so there really is no need to add anything to hold them down.
I hope you like this pattern. If there is anything that I need to explain better or if there is anything that you may need help with, please leave a comment.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.